1. Ladies first. No exceptions. And why just stop at elevators? This little rule extends so much further than just the elevator. Well, it should anyway.
2. Make room. The weight capacity of most elevators is 3,000 lbs. I know you enjoy 3 feet of personal space; we all do, but sometimes it just isn’t realistic. So when you see someone stepping on my toes because I couldn’t move back because you wouldn’t make room, make room!
3. Tone down your cologne/perfume. I know you’re just SO excited to smell good, but I would like to suggest, if I may, that it isn’t necessary to spray on half of the bottle before you come to work.
4. No staring. It totally creeps people out. If you like someones shoes/purse/suit/briefcase/face, say something, it’ll probably get you further anyway.
5. Those who are exiting have the right of way. I know you’re anxious to hop on the elevator, but really, it’s not nice to knock the person who’s already on there out of the way, just so you can get on.
If you can not abide by these little tips, take the stairs.
Update: 6. If I’m walking toward the elevator and you see me coming, and what’s more I actually go out of my way to ask you to hold it, and you don’t, that’s rude. So, hold the elevator if someone’s coming up to it.